Photofacials are one of the most popular forms of skin treatment on the market today. The Intensed Pulse Light, or IPL, can be used to treat age spots, rosacea and sun damage and is commonly used for treatment of the face, neck, shoulders, back and hands. Studies show that uneven skin tone and poor quality of the skin make someone appear 12 years older.
How does it work?
The light penetrates the skin at a range of wavelengths that targets any red and brown spots, creating a more even skin tone. The light also brightens the skin and results can be seen in one to three treatments, depending on the severity of the symptoms.
The procedure is 30 minutes of intense pulses of lights that deeply penetrate the skin and causes the collagen and blood vessels below the epidermis to construct, which results in the reduction of redness and age lines. The redness and swelling that occurs after the procedure typically goes away in a short amount of time.
The IPL can also be used to remove hair, although this takes several treatments because it will only work on active hair follicles and not all hair follicles are active at once. This works best on those who have a strong color contrast between their hair and their skin.
What to expect during the treatment
Before the treatment begins, you’ll be given protective eyewear to protect your eyes from the bright flashes of light. A cool gel is applied to the treatment area to lubricate the hand piece and to help cool the skin during the treatment. The medical provider will then apply brief pulses of bright light to the skin through the hand piece. You will feel a warm sensation as the light pulses and after the procedure your medical provider may ice down the treatment area to help soothe any discomfort.
The most important thing to remember following the photofacial treatment is to avoid the sun for several days and to wear sunblock for at least two weeks. For the treatment to exhibit its full effects, you have to ensure your skin is protected for the first few weeks after the treatment. The treatment can give you excellent results for a year or more, as long as you take the appropriate measures to protect your skin immediately following the procedure.
Benefits of Photofacials
- It can be done anywhere – many people begin treatment on the face but once they see results, they travel to other problem areas such as the shoulders, chest and neck.
- Controls acne – If you have issues with acne, IPL treatments can help eliminate large pores, reducing the acne on your skin without having to consistently apply topical products that can dry the skin out.
- Reduces redness – If you have rosacea or any other skin condition that causes redness, an IPL photofacial treatment is a great option for helping to create a natural complexion.
- Minimizes signs of aging – The treatment has lasting effects in helping minimize the signs of aging such as sunspots and wrinkles. By treating a deep layer of skin, IPL stimulates the collagen growth and helps improve the texture of the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Cost – IPL treatments typically cost less than laser treatments and provide results for the long-term.
- The treatment is fast and easy – IPL treatments only take 15-30 minutes, fitting into even the busiest of schedules. There is zero downtime, so you don’t have to arrange for recovery time off.
- Painless – Only a small percentage of patients experience a slight sensation during the treatment and the other 90% of patients have no pain at all during the IPL photofacial procedure. If you do have slight discomfort, you can apply a topical anesthetic an hour before the procedure to reduce this.
How much does IPL Photofacial cost?
Cost is $275 per treatment. Most patients will need between 3 to 5 treatments. A package of 3 is 15% off.
Be sure to contact us with any questions you may have about any of our treatments or products. If you are interested in having a photofacial treatment done, please reach out to set up an appointment today. We look forward to helping you achieve the healthiest and most beautiful skin possible. Check out our full list of treatments and products we offer on our website and make sure to read our blog for skin tips and tricks.